
The denial underscores the sensitivity around foreign combat involvement and reinforces Ukraine’s narrative of sovereign air‑defence capability, influencing NATO partner perceptions and aid commitments.
Misinformation about foreign combat units can quickly shape public perception and diplomatic discourse, especially in a high‑stakes conflict like Ukraine’s. The recent Intelligence Online story about a covert multinational F‑16 squadron sparked headlines, prompting Kyiv to issue a swift rebuttal. By emphasizing the lack of evidence and injecting humor, the Ukrainian Air Force aimed to neutralize speculation that could complicate ongoing military aid negotiations with NATO allies.
Beyond the headline, the episode highlights the evolving role of Western fighter aircraft in Ukraine’s layered air‑defence architecture. Since receiving F‑16s and Mirage jets, Ukrainian pilots have taken a more active part in intercept missions, as demonstrated during the Feb. 17 Russian missile barrage where all cruise missiles were reportedly shot down. This operational progress reinforces Kyiv’s claim that its own forces, not foreign pilots, are the primary actors defending critical infrastructure, while foreign contributions remain focused on training, logistics and intelligence sharing.
The broader strategic implication is two‑fold. First, maintaining a clear narrative that foreign pilots are not engaged in combat helps preserve the legal and political boundaries of NATO support, avoiding escalation concerns. Second, it signals to partner nations that Ukraine’s air‑defence capabilities are maturing, potentially justifying further delivery of advanced platforms. As President Zelensky continues to press for faster air‑defence improvements, transparent communication about the actual composition of combat forces will be essential for sustaining international backing and ensuring effective coordination across the alliance.
By Dylan Malyasov · Feb 17, 2026

Key Points
Ukraine’s Air Force denied reports that a multinational secret F‑16 squadron operates in Ukraine, calling the claims unsupported and inaccurate.
Officials said Ukrainian pilots using F‑16 and Mirage aircraft helped intercept cruise missiles and drones during a large Russian attack on Feb. 17.
Ukraine’s Air Force on Tuesday rejected media reports claiming that a secret multinational F‑16 fighter squadron composed of Ukrainian, American, and Dutch pilots had been established to defend Kyiv’s airspace, calling the information inaccurate and unsupported by evidence.
The denial followed a report published by French outlet Intelligence Online, which alleged that a covert unit was already operating over Ukraine and that veteran foreign pilots were participating in intercept missions against Russian cruise missiles and drones. Ukrainian officials said the publication provided no proof to support its claims and described the report as unreliable.
Yurii Ihnat, head of communications for the Ukrainian Air Force Command, dismissed the allegation publicly and responded with irony. “Yeah! And Tom Cruise led the squadron,” Ihnat said.
The Air Force emphasized that no such multinational combat formation exists, while reiterating that Ukrainian aviation assets are actively engaged in air‑defence operations. Officials stressed that foreign support to Ukraine remains structured through training, equipment transfers, and coordination with partner nations rather than direct operational participation by foreign pilots.
According to the Ukrainian Air Force, fighter aviation has recently intensified its role in defending Ukrainian cities and critical infrastructure following continued Russian missile and drone strikes. The increased activity includes the employment of Western‑supplied aircraft alongside legacy platforms already in service.
Ihnat said Ukrainian pilots flying F‑16 and Mirage fighter jets played a central role during a large‑scale Russian attack overnight into Feb. 17, when air‑defence forces intercepted incoming threats across multiple regions of the country.
“This time the geography of the strike was wide, air raid alerts sounded throughout the country, and different means were used to repel the attack,” Ihnat said.
He added that Ukrainian aviation contributed directly to intercept operations. “Today our pilots worked, especially on foreign aircraft, including F‑16s as well as Mirages. A large number of missiles were destroyed specifically by aviation means,” Ihnat said.
According to the Air Force, all cruise missiles launched during the attack were destroyed, including Kh‑101 cruise missiles and Iskander‑K missiles. Ukrainian forces also intercepted one air‑launched missile, though four ballistic missiles targeting eastern regions were not intercepted.
“Unfortunately, there were no interceptions today — four ballistic missiles in the eastern regions were not intercepted due to certain circumstances,” Ihnat said.
Officials noted that Russian strikes primarily targeted critical infrastructure, including railway and energy facilities, continuing a pattern seen in recent months.
The broader context of the denial comes amid increased scrutiny of Ukraine’s air‑defence posture after President Volodymyr Zelenskyy publicly criticized the pace and effectiveness of efforts to protect cities and infrastructure from missile and drone attacks. Since then, Ukrainian aviation has played a more visible role in intercept missions, particularly against Iranian‑designed Shahed attack drones used by Russian forces.
The introduction of Western fighter aircraft into Ukrainian service represents one element of a layered air‑defence system that also includes ground‑based missile defences and electronic‑warfare capabilities. Ukrainian officials have consistently stated that foreign personnel are not conducting combat missions inside Ukraine.
Comments
Want to join the conversation?
Loading comments...